Sometimes in a different country or even in your own country it can be a challenge to know what to do when visiting the hammam. Having been to a few these are my top questions to ask when experiencing any of these establishments for ladies. Believe me they are all taken from experience and are things I wish I had known before getting undressed.
1. When are the opening hours for women? Make sure it’s a women only session- unless you are comfortable with a mixed one.
2. What do I need to bring with me? Is everything supplied which it may be in a more upmarket hammam, or do you need to consider a wash kit, towel, flip flops etc.
3. What is the etiquette of the hammam? Do I need a swimsuit, will I just have my underwear on (in which case you need a spare and dry pair), or will I be totally nude (sometimes the easiest of all)?
4. What is included in the price? Do you want the attendants to wash you , do you want a massage etc. It is much easier to agree this when you arrive than halfway through. Many hammams include the washing and massage as one fixed price.
5. How long is the experience. Never rush a good hammam.